8.13.2012

Who Gets the Credit?

I read this Op-Ed piece the other day and was reminded again how much I love David Brooks. A reader wrote the following question
Over the past few years, I've built a successful business. I've worked hard, and I'm proud of what I've done. But now President Obama tells me that social and political forces helped build that. Mitt Romney went to Israel and said cultural forces explain the differences in the wealth of nations. I'm confused. How much of my success is me, and how much of my success comes from forces outside of me?
Brooks' reply is not only eloquent, but very funny [read it here]. Two things that particularly resonate are that in the opening line he makes mention of multiple regression, and the reference to Ayn Rand also made me laugh. (Note to Greg: Please pay attention to the age-group that buys into her crap.

Lastly, I believe the last paragraph of the essay should be required reading (and should probably be memorized) for every business school student from here on.

Great companies, charities and nations were built by groups of individuals who each vastly overestimated their own autonomy. As an ambitious executive, it's important that you believe that you will deserve credit for everything you achieve. As a human being, it's important for you to know that's nonsense.

No comments: