9.15.2013

Orville - Part II

After I got Orville's new starter in and did some other work, it was clear that one of his problems was that the rust in the gas tank was clogging up the air filter, which would make the car hard to start. So, I decided to pull the gas tank and start from scratch.


After getting the tank out, I buffed out some of the rust in the front area since I had more room to work. For nowI just did a shit-quick job of priming that area until I can get it really taken care of (i.e., sandblasted) and painted. In the mean time, I ordered a new tank from Airhead Parts. I thought about cleaning and re-sealing the old one, but it was almost as cheap (they were having a Labor Day sale) to just start over.







Here is the new tank I received, and an "after" pic once I installed it in Orville. I also put in a new fuel sender seal, filler pipe, tank sleeve, and fuel lines. The only thing I didn't replace (and maybe I should have) is the long metal fuel line that runs through the chassis. Maybe after I pull his engine and get him painted.

At the same time, I also replaced Orville's carburetor and generator pulley. I got both those parts from California Pacific JBUGS. The generator pulley also came with a nicer crankshaft pulley, but until the engine comes out of the car, the old one will suffice.



After getting the electrical re-hooked up and adding some gas, Orville fired right up. Chili and I drove him down to Caribou and he was rocking!

No comments: