8.30.2015

Books and Typography

I love reading the note that appears in some books about the font in which the book was typeset. I wish it gave more information; for example the font size and line spacing. I have a type ruler that measures in picas and points (in addition to inches and centimeters), so, over time, I might try to add some of my favorites here. Note: Here the line spacing refers to the distance between the baseline of a line of text and the ascender line of the subsequent line of text. Note 2: There may be some measurement error, especially in measuring the inner margin.

Title: The Children Act
Author: Ian McEwan
Publisher: Nan A. Talese/Doubleday
Font: Garamond 3 (based on adaptation by Morris Fuller Benton)
Size: 10pt.
Line spacing: 10pt.
Line width: 9.7 cm
Inner Margin: 1.5 cm
Outer Margin: 2.5 cm


Title: Bridge of Sighs
Author: Richard Russo
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf
Font: Janson
Size: 6pt.
Line spacing: 6pt.
Line width: 11.5 cm
Inner Margin: 2 cm
Outer Margin: 2.4 cm

I really liked the weight and feel of the font in The Summons. Unfortunately there was no information provided, so I used the WhatTheFont! app to try and identify it.

Title: The Summons
Author: John Grisham
Publisher: Doubleday
Font: Garamond Premier Pro
Size: 6pt.
Line spacing: 12pt.
Line width: 11 cm
Inner Margin: 2 cm
Outer Margin: 2.4 cm

No comments: