8.20.2007

Back to London

On Friday I traveled by bus, taxi and train back to London and then to Surbiton to spend a few days with Ann Ooms. She was a wonderful hostess showing me around the area and providing lodging. On Saturday - after some much needed sleeping in - we took the train and tube to Notting Hill where the street market was in full swing. After a morning stop in a pub, we took a side street to the travel bookshop made famous by the movie titled after and set in the area in question.

We then took the tube to St. Paul's Cathedral where we bummed around and walked down to the Tate Modern to pretend like everyone else that we were interested in art. Afterwards we went back to Surbiton and relaxed at Ann's flat. Sunday morning - again after snoozing late - we took a bus to Kingston and walked about 4 miles along the Thames River to Hampton Court, the living place of King Henry the VIII.

They had some wonderful statues lining both sides of the drawbridge. The dragon (pictured at right) was one of my favorites. Hampton Court is also home to the well-known hedge maze. We didn't go in, but we did walk along at least one side of the perimeter. After stopping in the gift shop - I bought a book on the six wives of Henry VIII - we began our walk back to Surbiton. After many wrong turns and directions from 5 to 6 people, we eventually made it back to Ann's flat.
Now it is Monday and I am in Ann's office at Kingston University writing this blog. I have today left, and then I will catch a flight to Lisbon. I will be leaving Ann's place this evening/morning at about 2:00 a.m. Then I will catch a bus to another bus which will, in theory, bring me to Heathrow. If all goes according to plan, I will arrive in Lisbon at about 7:00 a.m. tomorrow. I will update you in a few days with more adventures.

No comments: