11.15.2011

Digital Scrapbook

I have been meaning to digitize some of my scrapbook pics and newspaper clippings for a long time. Well, I started today. Now I post them and everyone is entertained.

This sidebar appeared in the St. Cloud Times circa 2001. It was an interview that took place at the YMCA while I was on lunch break. Each week they profiled "interesting" people to meet in the city.



Age: 26
Hometown: St.Cloud
Faumily: Mother, Margaret; dad, Fredrick; sister, Sandra, 24.
Occupation: Mathematics teacher at Rocori High School, part-time St. Cloud YMCA employee during the summer.
Which university did you attend? I started out at Dakota State, but I graduated from St. Cloud State.
What grade do you teach? I have been teaching ninth- through 12th graders for the past two years. Before that, I taught at St. Cloud State University for three years as a teacher's assistant.
What are your hobbies? I enjoy reading, playing and coaching soccer. I am coaching a summer team right now, and in the fall I coach the girls' soccer team at St. John's Prep.
Do your students like you? Yeah, probably most of them, but some don't.
What do you like about St. Cloud? Right now I’ve got a job here and that’s what I like...I like the way it’s expanding, and I like working with the kids in the high school and on the teams I coach. It’s a nice community to live in.
What part of the United States do you like the most? I like the east coast because it is pretty and historic. However I like the Midwest as far as living because the people are much nicer and I enjoy the seasons.
If you could change one thing about St. Cloud, what would it be? There doesn’t seem to be many places to meet people.This is a very family-oriented town, which is good, but they need more things for single people.
If you could go on any TV game show,which one would it be? It would probably be ‘Jeopardy’ because they have good trivia questions, or ‘Who Wants to be a Millionaire?’ because I think I’d clean up with that show
What are your plans? I am going to go back to graduate school this fall to get my Ph.D. and eventually teach math and history at the college level.



This article appeared in the Apollo High School newspaper circa 1991/1992 about the 50 consecutive hour trivia marathon that we compete in. The writer, Dan Coda, was a good friend and also played on our team.



Trivia addicts tackle tough questions in KVSC's competition

By Daniel Coda
Staff Writer


    St. Cloud State University's campus radio station, KVSC, held their annual "trivia blizzard weekend" on the weekend of Feb. 7-9. This year the theme was the Magical Trivia Tour.
    The trivia blizzard consists of 50 straight hours of trivia questions. Each hour eight to ten questions are asked, and each team calls in and tries to get the correct answer. Each question is given points based on the difficulty of that particular question. This year 30 teams participated, including one from Apollo High School.
    Senior Andy Zieffler hosted the trivia team at his house for the third year running. Zieffler has participated in the trivia weekend for four years now. When asked why he did it he replied," I did it for Trivia Man." Zieffler explained that "Trivia Man had been shot after four years of supreme rulership of trivia." 
    Each team that enters has to pay a registration fee and also has to come up with a name. Zieffler has played under the team names: Hindu Quaker Sophomore Guys, Platypuschainsawcadavers, Oblong Gontal Cosmic Dust, and this year's team was called Mental Debris. 
    Hindu Quaker Sophomore Guys received an award for the most creative name. This year the team did not receive an award, but they did place 18th out of the 30 teams. Someone still owes Mental Debris a beer lamp.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like to read and lookout this scrap this is really nice and amazing.I am interested to meet a new people.

Midwest Scrapbook

Ruby Leigh said...

I forgot how I found this blog originally, but then I added it to my reader because I liked the "voice" behind it. Anyway, it's sort of interesting because it's not the first time a liked blog of mine turned out to be written by someone who was also in the Math Education world.